Wednesday 2 September 2015

18th Completed Drama: Oh My Ghost

Oh My Ghost
Synonyms: Oh My Ghostess
Episodes: 16
Country: South Korea
Aired: Jul. 3, 2015 - Aug. 22, 2015
Network: tvN
Duration: 60 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Romance, Supernatural
Viewers Rating: 8.8/10
My Rating: 9.5/10

Synopsis: Bong Sun, a timid young woman, is possessed by the ghost of a lustful virgin. She has zero self-confidence, and because of her extreme shyness, she doesn't have any close friends. At the restaurant where she works as an assistant, she's not particularly good at anything, and mostly just gets yelled at a lot. Her grandmother was a shaman so from a young age she's been able to occasionally see ghosts, though it's not until she meets the lascivious ghost that she gets possessed totally. Sun Woo is a conceited star chef who's overflowing with confidence in his food and his skills. Bong Sun harbors a secret crush on him, though he doesn't take much notice of her for two reasons: because he's always surrounded by women and because he's hung up on an old flame. But the one day, Bong Sun starts acting differently, shedding her mousy personality, and ends up constantly on Sun Woo's mind.

Cast: Park Bo Young - Na Bong Sun
Jo Jung Suk - Kang Sun Woo
Kim Seul Gi - Shin Soon Ae
Im Joo Hwan - Choi Sung Jae

Review
Contains a lot of spoilers!

General Impressions:
I only heard of Oh My Ghost about a week before it was actually due to air, but as soon as I read the synopsis, I knew I had to watch it. Everyone has watched the typical ghost possession series' or movies, but it brought so many new elements and surprises that there is no way you would be able to compare it to past ghost dramas. After the first two episodes were released, I was always anticipating the upcoming episodes the next week. And I am so glad that I did that because this drama is definitely worth anyone's time.

Story: 9.0/10
This series captured the story perfectly and was willing to take some risks to make it better, and it always made Oh My Ghost even more superb. I just want to point out that I absolutely loved Bong Sun and Sun Woo's relationship. It was pure, natural and so amazing to watch. So the only problem I had with the story was that Soon Ae spent too much time with Sun Woo when it should have been Bong Sun. She deserves to spend time with her boyfriend and crush. Soon Ae was only meant to be around to get rid of her grudge, and that caused Sun Woo to gradually grow feelings for her too. That annoyed me and I was always frustrated when Soon Ae and Sun Woo had a lot of skinship. But because of that, it made Bong Sun and Sun Woo's moments even more precious and adorable together. They were the perfect on-screen couple.

Acting/Cast: 10/10
Despite my complaints on the characters, each and every one of them was acted out amazingly. Firstly, Park Bo Young was terrific. She portrayed the role of Na Bong Sun in every way possible, and was even able to pull off playing Soon Ae-in-Bong Sun's-body. I have so much respect for her now, and I can't believe she can act this well at the age of 25. Next, Jo Jung Suk made me fall head over heals for him (not as much as Yook Sungjae oppa, but still). His chemistry with Bo Young was lovely and it makes me slightly sad to know that he is already dating someone is real life. And he was so cool as a chef, great job! Third, Kim Seul Gi. As much as her character of Shin Soon Ae did annoy me at times, her acting was great. I've only seen her act in I'll Die Soon, but you can tell her acting has vastly improved since then. Lastly, Im Joo Hwan. Like Seul Gi, his character annoyed me to the ends of the earth, however, he was able to act brilliantly as a villain. I felt like his acting showed through the most in the last episode, during the scene where his body was separate the evil spirit and he remembered all the bad things he did while his body was being possessed. His emotions really came through and it was awesome to watch.

Music: 9.0/10
Wow, this soundtrack. It blew my mind away, it's extremely gorgeous. I would most definitely say that my favourite track would have to be Stay by Ben - the first part to the official soundtrack. I've been listening to it as I wrote this review and I can say for certain that I will be listening to this a lot in the future. The only problem I had with the soundtracks was that they mixed around them a lot in the drama, so you couldn't remember one specifically unless you heard it again.

Re-watch Value: 10/10
I will rewatch this some time in the future, I'm positive.

Final Verdict: 9.5/10
Overall, besides the lack of Bong Sun-Sun Woo screen time on the drama and the mixing of the soundtracks, this drama is the perfect watch for literally anyone. Rom-com lovers beware, this drama will haunt you (see what I did there?) for the rest of your life if you watch this! So make sure to watch it!

Sun Woo, Bong Sun + Soon Ae.

No comments:

Post a Comment