Saturday 12 September 2015

19th Completed Drama: I Remember You

I Remember You
Synonyms: Hello Monster
Episodes: 16
Country: South Korea
Aired: Jun. 22, 2015 - Aug. 11, 2015
Network: KBS2
Duration: 1 hr. 10 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Crime, Investigation, Mystery, Psychological, Romance, Thriller
Viewers Rating: 8.7/10
My Rating: 8.5/10

Synopsis: A romantic thriller about a mystery solving duo who bicker and fight but end up developing feelings for each other. A complicated love story between a criminal profiler who uses his sharp eye to analyze crime scenes and an investigator female cop who stalks him. The two solve crime cases together while hiding each one's true heart, going through the love-hate relationship and healing in the process.

Cast: Seo In Guk - Lee Hyun
Jang Na Ra - Cha Ji An
Park Bo Gum - Jung Seon Ho
Choi Won Young - Lee Joon Ho

Review
Contains a lot of spoilers!

General Impressions:
I Remember You, or Hello Monster, has pretty much been the blockbuster drama of the year for a lot of people who have watched it - some even have it in their top five dramas. However, it was just an average drama for me. I was expecting so much because this drama sounded so interesting, and has a lot of my favourite genres, but it failed to impress me as much as everyone else. It had quite a few loose ends, and it didn't have enough of what it should have. I'm honestly quite disappointed.

Story: 7.0/10
Firstly. the story was the main thing wrong with this drama. We were given exactly what the synopsis told us, which is great, but I feel like the series focused too much on Cha Ji An and Lee Hyun's relationship. There were quite a few unnecessary scenes between the two, and if they were taken out, I'm pretty sure the ending would have still been the same. A lot of people may disagree with me on this, but I just think that the writer should have given more scenes with Hyun and Min (Jung Seon Ho). They felt like the more important relationship to focus on, but those scenes were only given from the thirteenth episode onward. It was too lacking. Going back to Ji An and Hyun's relationship, I couldn't actually see the two as a couple. When they got together in the last episode, I didn't fangirl or squeal, or jump up and down in my room. I just sat there, unfazed. I never saw any spark in their connection. It simply looked like a normal friendship. Last thing, the writer didn't explain the ending with Min that well. I know a lot of people were confused as to what his decision was, whether he chose to continue being Hyun's brother and hand himself to the police, or live as someone else with a new identity. That should have been explained a little better.

Acting/Cast: 10/10
Despite some of my complaints about I Remember You, the acting and cast in this were absolutely perfect. I cannot express how much I was amazed by the acting in this. I'm going to start with Park Bo Gum (played Jung Seon Ho). I had never really heard of him until I watched this, but I absolutely love him now. His acting was brilliant, and his character was definitely my favourite, especially after the thirteenth episode. And he was so cute when he was smiling because of Hyun, or when he had this fringe down. Next is Seo In Guk as Lee Hyun. He has definitely grabbed my attention with his acting. It was flawless, and I actually fangirlled when he did a cameo in Oh My Ghost. I just love him even more when he is suited up, so hot. Third, Jang Na Ra as Cha Ji An. Although her character was quite annoying, she has been a great influence on this drama - in a good way. She did an amazing job and can't wait to see her again in the future. Lastly, is Choi Won Young as Lee Joon Ho. I have previously noticed him in Kill Me, Heal Me and he did have some hilarious moments in that, but now I have also seen a serious side to him. Won Young can do anything, he's a brilliant actor.

Music: 8.5/10
I can definitely remember watching through I Remember You, and paying attention to the music more than the actual story. But now that I have also gone through the soundtrack, I can't pick out a noticeable one that I can recall massively. It seems a little vague, and the only song that I properly like is Remember by Dear Cloud.

Re-watch Value: 8.0/10
To be honest, I can't see myself watching this again. I would watch this again if the time came round, but I didn't enjoy it enough to actually want to rewatch it. The story is the main thing I pay attention to if I want to rewatch it again, and out of everything, that failed the most. So, I will not be watching I Remember You again.

Final Verdict: 8.5/10
Having the story become pretty much a disappointment and the soundtrack not being all that interesting or noticeable, that brought this drama down. But I know it could have been so much better.

Hyun + Ji An.

No comments:

Post a Comment