Monday 22 June 2015

13th Completed Drama: Producer

Producer
Synonyms: The Producers
Episodes: 12
Country: South Korea
Aired: May 15, 2015 - Jun. 20, 2015
Network: KBS2
Duration: 1 hr. 20 mins.
Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance
Viewers Rating: 7.8/10
My Rating: 8.5/10

Synopsis: The drama is set in the backstage world of broadcasting industry. The story revolves around the dynamic work and life of people who work in entertainment division of television network. Ra Joon Mo, a 10-year veteran PD of variety shows. He’s described to have a long list of variety shows credit but without a notable program under his name. 10-year veteran music show PD, Tak Ye Ji, is described to started out as an innocent and smart young rookie but the harsh working competition has changed her personality. She now become a sharp and prideful woman who says whatever is on her mind, even in front of her bosses. Rookie variety show PD, Baek Sung Chan who leaves a bright path as a prosecutor for a career in broadcast industry because of love. Diva-like top celebrity singer name Cindy, who began as a trainee at the age of 13 and has been in industry for 10 years. She’s known as an ice princess because she never lets herself feel deep affection for anyone. She experienced a lot of betrayal in the past that cause her to keep everyone at a safe distance.

Cast: Cha Tae Hyun - PD Ra Joon Mo
Gong Hyo Jin - PD Tak Ye Jin
Kim Soo Hyun - PD Baek Seung Chan
IU - Cindy

Review
Contains a lot of spoilers!

General Impressions:
I mainly only started watching Producer because of all the hype that was going in to it because of the very amazing cast that was IU, Kim Soo Hyun, Cha Tae Hyun and Gong Hyo Jin. I'd only watched Soo Hyun's previous work of My Love From The Stars, but he was amazing in that so I knew he would be able to pull off an entirely new sort of character. Besides a few low points, I really enjoyed this drama, and I'm one of those people that were glad it changed from a mockumentary to a romcom.

Story: 9.0/10
The story of Producer was something very new and original, and it showed a lot of potential. However, it did start off very slow. And to be honest, I don't know why they even used to story of Seung Chan's one-sided love for Ji Yeon. It wasn't even necessary to the plot of the drama. But once the latter half of the drama started, it got really good. I enjoyed Seung Chan's developing love for Ye Jin (although, I'm glad the Umbrella couple seemed like the winning couple near the end), and all the elements of producing. I really liked when we saw scenes focusing on Music Bank, like when Seung Chan and Cindy were going up in the lift together. It was so cute. I also loved the small love story between Hong Sun and Yang Mi, it was so funny to watch. Anyway, despite the slowness at the beginning, it was a really great story. 

Acting/Cast: 9.5/10
There was nothing to complain in the acting department. They were all great. To start off with, I'll talk about the main cast. Cha Tae Hyun was absolutely hilarious with his character of PD Ra Joon Mo, and he showed a very realistic side of a producer. Focusing a lot of his time of 2D1N, mouthing off at the rookie and showing genuine concern for those he cares about, like Ye Jin, Yuna and Cindy. Next off, Gong Hyo Jin was a lovely actress and she perceived her character of PD Tak Ye Jin very well. Although, the density of her character did annoy me, it was because of how the writers made Ye Jin, not how Hyo Jin acted her out. She did a lovely performance. Now, Kim Soo Hyun. His character of PD Baek Seung Chan was something completely different to his previous work of Do Min Joon, and yet, he was great at it. I also loved how he immersed himself in the character, as shown in interviews in Entertainment Weekly. Lastly, IU. I absolutely loved her character of Cindy, and she was so enjoyable to watch. I loved her slow but sure love development for PD Umbrella (aka Seung Chan). I just wish she got more screen time as I believe she got the least amount out the whole main cast. All of the supporting cast were brilliant as well, and Na Young Hee did another excellent job of making me annoyed at her character. My only problem was the girl who played Ji Ni (aka the next Cindy; Cindy No.2). Her acting wasn't the greatest, and was slightly stiff.

Music: 8.0/10
The music for this drama was also lovely, and I loved IU's single of Heart. Although I'm not 100% sure that song was for the Producer drama (as I know it was also featured in We Got Married), it was released at the same time as the drama was still airing, so I'm just going to count it. However, besides IU's track, none of the other tracks were very memorable and didn't stand out well.

Re-watch Value: 7.5/10
As much as I have enjoyed this drama massively, the only time I would re-watch this again is when I'm really bored. I have many other dramas I wish to focus on, and I also have to get through my last few weeks of school before I start thinking of re-watching another drama.

Final Verdict: 8.5/10
Overall, despite one acting choice, a slow start at the beginning of the drama and not very memorable tracks, this drama is very much worth watching and I would recommend it to anyone who is interested in a good romantic comedy.

Cindy, Joon Mo, Ye Jin + Seung Chan.

No comments:

Post a Comment